2016 Virgo Awards Presented!
The 2016 Virgo Travel and Tourism Awards were presented at the Tourism Symposium held at the Omni Homestead Resort on April 03, 2017. The competition was judged by a panel of three out-of-state peers who made their determinations based on the quality of the submission, economic efficiency, and the economic or community impact. Once again, Tubby Kubick of Chocklett Press helped us find outstanding judges who turned in results reflecting the high quality of submissions and a very close competition.
The 2016 competition used the new categories debuted in 2015 which were designed to more accurately reflect the type of cutting edge promotional campaigns being waged state-wide. All entries were to occur or to have been completed between January 1, 2015 to July 2016. These awards pay tribute to individuals, groups, businesses and destination marketing organizations that have significantly contributed to the Commonwealth of Virginia's economy through tourism promotion and development. The winners of the 2016 VIRGO Awards for their respective categories are listed below:
- Advertising & Promotions - DMO Budget UNDER $1 million: Combination
Smithfield & Isle of Wight, "Smithfield Rocks"
- Advertising & Promotions – DMO Budget OVER $1million: Combination
Visit Norfolk, "Dynamic. Distinct. Diverse. Campaign"
- Advertising & Promotions - DMO Budget OVER $1 million: Interactive
Visit Fairfax, "Storytellers Video Series"
- Advertising & Promotions – DMO Budget OVER $1 million: Online and eMarketing: Visit Fairfax, "Visit Fairfax Online Marketing Campaign"
- Destination Event of the Year: Visit Fairfax, "2015 World Police & Fire Games"
- Niche Tourism - Eco/Adventure: Alleghany Highlands, "Over the Water"
- Niche Tourism - Culture/Heritage: Alleghany Highlands, "Downtowns of Alleghany Highlands"
- Niche Tourism - Arts and Music: Newport News, "Art & Sculpture Tour: Expressions of Creativity"
- Niche Tourism - Special Interest/Other: Spotsylvania County, "2016 Courthouse Village Food Truck Rodeo"
- Regional Marketing Initiative: GART (Greater Augusta Regional Tourism), "Shenandoah Beerwerks Trail"
- Visitor Center Manager of the Year: Barbara Gullickson - Norfolk
- Sales Manager of the Year: Mike Stoupa, Discover Prince William & Manassas
- Peer Selected “Best in Show”: GART (Greater Augusta Regional Tourism), "Shenandoah Beerwerks Trail"